Wednesday, April 28, 2010

On Being A Christian

I went to Mass today and the First reading was from the Acts of the Apostles, where, at Antioch they were first called "Christians". (Acts 11:19-26). And Father's sermon was about what it meant exactly to be a Christian. And he brought up a pet peeve of mine when I hear a Catholic say "I'm not Christian, I'm Catholic". I always want to do a facepalm at that. But the point that most struck me is how Christianity is not a "closed" group. We want everyone to be a Christian! We want everyone to share in the Joy of following Jesus Christ. We want everyone to go to Heaven. It made me think more about spreading the "Good News" rather than the sourpuss, exclusive, us vs them (you know, sinners) attitude that I myself have found myself harboring.
 John answered him, saying: Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, who followeth not us: and we forbade him.  But Jesus said: Do not forbid him. For there is no man that doth a miracle in my name and can soon speak ill of me.  For he that is not against you is for you. Mark 9:38-40 DRV

And he said to them: Go ye into the whole world and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved: but he that believeth not shall he condemned. Mark 16:15-16 DRV



No comments: