Wednesday, October 03, 2007

St Therese of Lisieux


Today (in the old missal) is the Feast day of my Confirmation saint, Therese of Lisieux also known as "The Little Flower".But she is officially known as Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face. She is quite popular and rather than go into her life story (which can be read at The Society of the Little Flower) I'll go on to why I chose her (or she chose me rather) to be my patron. But the thing is, I don't really know why. There are many photographs of St. Therese. Right away I thought she looked like a relative of mine in a vague way. (Although my grandmother claimed to be French, I'm not 100% sure I have any French ancestry). Reading some of her words, one quote in particular stood out to me: "After my death, I will let fall a shower of roses. I will spend my heaven doing good upon earth. I will raise up a mighty host of little saints. My mission is to make God loved..." She has very often kept this promise quite literally. A Jesuit priest was praying a novena to her in December of 1925. On the fourth day, a Sister brought him a white rose saying "Saint Therese sent you this". Amazed, the priest asked her where she got it. She replied: "I was in the chapel, and as I was leaving I passed the altar above which hangs the beautiful picture of Saint Therese. This rose fell at my feet. I wanted to put it back into the bouquet, but a thought came to me that I should bring it to you."
But more important than roses are the graces she obtains for us. I think that's one of the reason she is so popular, her powerful intercession.

No comments: